RE: Colorado Pocket Dosimeter Requirements

> We (a DOE contractor, responding to a requirement in the "old" DOE

> RadCon Manual) have had a similar procedure in place for several

> years.  It requires that an investigation be done if results from

> pocket and/or electronic dosimeters vary from the primary dosimeter

> results by more than 50% and the primary dosimeter result is greater

> than 100 mrem.  There is a "TLD Investigation" button on our access

> control entry system reports page that does the comparison  for us.

> It then prints out all the monthly and quarterly results that meet the

> criteria.

Les,

Is this criteria standard within the DOE world? In the power reactor world, there is

generally an assessment when the difference is >25%. In cases where the doses

are < 100 mrem, most facilities perform an assessment where there is a difference

of 60 mrem.

I also believe that the primary reason why a pencil type dosimeter is usually higher

than the TLD is due to the errors associated with the primary influence quantities.

The TLD algorithm will accurately assess photon, low energy x-rays and high as

well as low energy beta. The TLD is going to respond accurately. The reason the

pencil dosimeter is usually higher is that there is rarely a dosimeter specific

calibration. The dose recorded is usually an eye-ball reading, and even when using

a reader, they often are not very accurate. The pencil dosimeter generally is very

poor in monitoring low energy x-rays and even most higher energy betas, will not

penetrate the wall.

All of the above ultimately led to the electronic dosimeter, which is much more

accurate, as long as they are calibrated to the energy and type of radiation of

interest.

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com