fear

The shame of all of this is that this fear could be

completely eliminated (except for really terrible

scenarios) by communicating facts in a rational

fashion rather than using scare tactics.  When scare

tactics involving a lot of extrapolation are used,

people get lost in a set of numbers that have little

scientific justification.  This is like getting a $1

bill confused with a $100.

Often, a little bit of simple arithmetic is necessary.

One sort of has to 'think with numbers.'  Fortunately,

the math is grade-school level and should be

explainable to just about everybody.

People need to be educated that radiation is something

that exists in nature at levels of numerous chest

x-rays/year.  [If a chest x-ray is 3 mrem and natural

background is 360 mrem/year, that makes 120 chest

x-rays a year].  Dr. Cameron's 'BERT' (background

equivalent) is really useful.  1 BERT = 360 mrem for

the U.S. average including radon.  1 BERT = 120 chest

x-rays.

The fear at Three Mile Island was completely

unjustified (way less than 1 BERT; if I remember

correctly, less than 1 chest x-ray), as was

evacuations of areas below 1 BERT at Chernobyl.  The

evacuations of areas 2-12 BERT are really debatable,

as that involves the current occupational dose range.

[Assume that 1 BERT = 360 mrem.  12 BERT = 4,320 mrem,

less than the legal occupational limit but close to

common administrative limits at facilities].

Humor maybe is not justified here, but I can't help

but think of calling 4,500 or 5,000 mrem/year an

"Ernie."  (Sesame Street).

So, we have three units to explain things with:

- a chest x-ray (3 mrem)

- a BERT (360 mrem/y)

- an occupatinal amount (an "Ernie" or maybe a

"Homer"?)  - 5,000 mrem/y or perhaps 4,500 mrem/y to

reflect administrative limits.  OK, I realize most

people wouldn't call this by a silly name like "Ernie"

or, worse, "Homer."  :-)

If people can understand pennies, nickels, dimes,

dollars, fives, tens, twenties, fifties and 'large,'

then I think that they can understand chest x-rays and

BERTs.

~Ruth 2 aka Ruth Sponsler

--- "Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)" <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>

http://mail.yahoo.com/