RE: (Mostly off-topic) The media and PTSD

Barbara Hamrick wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM [mailto:BLHamrick@AOL.COM]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 10:01 PM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: (Mostly off-topic) Fallout and PTSD and Contingency Fees

     <snip>

Furthermore, as you point out, Mr. Lavely, in the TMI case, the NRC wasn't sure what to do, nor the State of PA, and the media exacerbated this situation with alarming news reports.  Perhaps the media should be sued for the intentional infliction of emotional distress...I wouldn't mind pursuing that legal theory either.

    <snip>

 That's just my opinion, of course.

Barbara L. Hamrick

I remember that one of the networks put Ernest Sternglass on their national news program the day of the accident.  Sternglass said -- I paraphrase -- **You're all going to die.  Run for the hills**.   I note, in passing, that the only fatality associated with TMI was the 6 or 7 year old boy who fell from the deck of a yacht in Baltimore harbor and drowned.  His parents had evacuated from the Harrisburg area to a friend's yacht.

NBC ran on its nightly news an explanatory graphic that had the outline of a containment dome; inside was a shallow pan of water with a flame under it.  That's the day I quit watching network news.  PBS coverage had a few problems, but was far and away the best of all the news organizations.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.