RE: FW: ALARA and "what is safe enough"

Dave Weidis gave a few PEPs discussing "standard of care" and ALARA.

He did make the point that the federal limits are the "standard of care".

ALARA is a profession goal but should not be confused with the federal

limits.

His analogy was the federal speed limits.  A speed limit is posted as 65 mph

but

should a motorist be given a ticket for going 65 or even 55 mph because they

weren't driving

as "slow as reasonably achievable' since we know that driving fatalities

increase

as speed increases.  (No LNT arguments please).

He made another point that ALARA is a profession goal for an exposed

population and

was not meant for individuals or small group of individuals.  An example

would be

5 painters complaining that their exposure wasn't ALARA because there wasn't

enough

shielding.  However, to get the dose savings, shielders would then receive

more

exposure so the person-sieverts on this job would increase.  Is that ALARA?

I have a copy of his PEP somewhere in this dump called my office and might

be

able to dig it out if you have more questions.

If there is enough demand, I am sure the HPS CEC would be glad to include

Mr. Weidis in

another PEP if they don't already have him scheduled for this summer's

meeting in TAMPA.

Hope this helps

John

John L. Salladay,  CHP