Re: Criticality accident

Unfortunately, this accident was not the result of a single instance of violating

procedures, but was the culmination of long standing practices; see:

<http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Documents/Tokaimura/iaea-toac.pdf>

For example:

1.  The licensing conditions for the facility stipulated a mass limit of 2.4 kg

of 16-20% enriched U in the conversion facility.  When the accident was

initiated, they had poured 16 kg of this material into the precipitation tank.

2.  The procedure modification that allowed the workers to bypass the buffer

column had been in place since November 1996, and had been implemented several

times before the accident occurred.  It had never received approval from the

regulatory authorities.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton