Ruth and Jim thanks for info on criticality accident

Title: Ruth and Jim thanks for info on criticality accident
I wish to thank Ruth Weiner and Jim Hoerner for pointing me/us to the excellent paper "A Review of Criticality Accidents" by Thomas P. McLaughlin (and others).

This LANL publication (la-13638 ) was virtually impossible to put down. This paper is about 140 pages and is not a mass (or is that mess?) of technical data and cold facts. I could virtually "see" some of these events unfolding and the aftermath. It is well written, well researched, well illustrated, well documented, and provides insights that I had never seen before. I wish that all the "technical" papers I read were as well researched and present information as well as this one does. We are in Mr. McLaughlin's debt.

I am sure that the oral presentation by Mr. McLaughlin was just as good and I wish I had been able to be there to hear it.

We owe Ruth and Jim thanks for pointing us to the report and to Mr. McLaughlin for providing us this review.

The paper can be found at
http://www.csirc.net/10_Library/00_Reports/13638/la-13638.pdf
(at 3.8 MB it may take a while for some to download, but it is well worth the time and effort)

If you want it, get it before someone decides to unnecessarily remove it from the website.

Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.  wrote: I heard an after-dinner talk Friday the subject of which I thougt might be of itnrest to RADSAFERs.  The talk was by Tom Laughlin (sp?), who has published (with others) a LANL report on criticality accidents.