Re: UCS- NRC Relies on Falsified Safety Studies

I'm not impressed.  The 'environmental movement' is

still dumping on the 'Nukes' rather than barking up

the tree where the problems are coming from: excessive

fossil fuel consumption.

The same old magnified perceptions of nuclear risks

are used while actual risks from other technologies

are discussed in only a mild manner.  We're told we

have to _go solar_ and _go wind_ without being told

that these technologies aren't capable of delivering

the large amounts of energy that people want to have

available to live a modern lifestyle.

If we have a few more years of record high

temperatures and Antarctic ice shelf melts, perhaps

some wise souls in the environmental movement will

come around to seeing nuclear energy as an

==="environmental imperative"=== to address climate

change.  Many countries that signed the Kyoto Protocol

(France and Japan especially) are planning to use

nuclear as a large portion of their fossil fuel

displacement strategies.

I have been a "sidelines skeptic" on the climate

issue, waiting for data to become available, but in

the last 2 years there has been more and more

information that leads me to believe that fossil fuel

consumption-driven climate change is occurring.  This

information includes record high monthly temperatures

for numerous months from 1999 on.

Apologies for a bit of a rant.  Below are my sources:

~Ruth 2

http://www.ucsusa.org/energy/brief.hidden.html - This

is a mild-mannered UCS discussion of fossil fuel

risks.  How about the _actual_ safety record of fossil

fuels, including mining, production, transportation?

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/news/0302/0320icemelt.html

- Antarctic ice section collapses.  Area was a portion

of the Larsen Ice Shelf and was 1,250 square miles in

size.

EPA's Temperature Tracker shows the 2nd warmest

February on record for 2002 and the warmest January on

record for 2002.

http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/news/.  Bottom of the

page discusses a study that accounted for the urban

heat island effect.

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/releases2001/nov01/noaa01117.html

- October 2001 global temperature highest on record

A graph of global surface temperature anomalies from

1880-2000:

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/anomalies/triad_pg.gif

Article that discusses temperature anomalies:

http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/temp/jonescru/jones.html.

 Chart at

http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/temp/jonescru/graphics/nhshglob.jpg

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/anomalies/anomalies.html

- somewhat technical article concerning temperature

anomalies.

http://www.senate.gov/~gov_affairs/071801_karl.htm -

Testimony of Thomas Karl of National Climatic Data

Center before the Senate

http://movies.yahoo.com/