Re: Industry Lackeys and Bad Legislation

Eloquently stated, Barbara.

>In addition to this nutty accusation that safety experts have some ulterior motive to undermine safety, I am aghast that in the area of radiation issues this leads the public to essentially seek only the advice of non-experts.  Their reasoning appears to be that if all experts are lackeys of industry, then one can only turn to non-experts for advice.  This seems to be verging on insanity.

This is often as well the position of the federal government. "We can't hire anyone who has every actually worked in this industry, they will have conflicts of interests (which means: they have made a few friends over the years, everyone does not hate their guts). We must hire people who know nothing about what they are regulating." I know I'm overstating this, they are not quite this strident, but the attitude does exist.

>If I have a brain tumor, do I preferentially seek advice from people who have never worked in oncology or neurosurgery?

Barbara, Barbara, Barbara, of **course** you get expert advice from John Travolta, because he was once in a movie about a guy who had a brain tumor. What *were* you thinking?

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068