Re: Indian Scientists Use Radiation to Cure Flatulence

> This anti-radiation policy con continues, with anti's being

> handed the loudspeaker to keep the public in the dark, to get to pay the

> piper all the way around.

Even more serious than that, however, anti-nuclear rhetoric is advocating

policies that will result in poor or nonexistent medical care for many

patients and curtail valuable advances in medical research. If the

anti-nukes are successful in shutting down all nuclear activities, this

means a return in many applications to invasive medicine, where nuclear

medicine has greatly improved both efficacy and safety of many diagnoses and

therapies. University researchers are sometimes shying away from using

miniscule levels of radiotracers to evaluate potentially life saving new

drugs because of fear of negative publicity (or worse, perhaps physical

violence against them, their laboratories or homes). We can discuss

alternate energy sources, theirs pros and cons, that's fine, but these

groups aren't content with that, they feel the need to eliminate all low and

high level rad waste disposal sites and any exposures to radiation, and this

leads to public panic over small radiation doses from needed medical

procedures and bad public policy from poorly informed regulators reacting to

emotional appeals. Who pays the piper? People who can't get the medical care

they need, people suffering power blackouts during extreme weather.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068