Re: Indian Scientists Use Radiation to Cure Flatulence

Mike's last post is absolutely on target, and I can personally speak to the benefits of a bone scan (30 mCi Tc-99 injected).

I just add (short rant) that I have never received straightforward answers to my questions about "Mobile Chernobyl" etc.  The scientific advisors used by anti-nuclear groups like UCS have not provided straightforward answers, whether deliberately or what, I cannot tell.  Norman Cohen: since you have contact with a number of these groups, can you get me a straightforward answer to the question of whether groups including UCS, Critical Mass, UNPLUG Salem, use "mobile Chernobyl" and if so, why?  PLEASE, no snide remarks, nothing to be funny, no "oh it's just a slogan" type response, nothing cute, nothing "friendly," just a straightforward answer.

In fact, I challenge these groups to say what their actual purpose is, in the long term, and what they hope to achieve, and what they will do when they achieve it.  Norman Cohen: do your groups favor stopping the use of radionuclides in medicine?  stopping food irradiation?  eliminating smoke detectors?  what do you plan to substitute for the 20% of the U.S. electricity now produced by nuclear plants?  For that last:  please be specific: where are you going to put the wind farms and solar power plants (at about 50 acres/MW installed capacity)?  Conservation?  I don't think so.  A 15% cutback means 24 hours a week without electricity, and not just 24 hours while one is asleep.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com