Re: Comments on the West Wing episode

> Why should West Wing have talked about

> such an accident at all, when it was clearly extraneous to any story

> line?

Ruth ... I think you're going a little overboard here. There are all

kinds of movies involving all kinds of accident, both real and some

not so real. That is what is called entertainment. The fact that "we"

are pro-nuclear doesn't change the fact that there are going to be

movies that are about nuclear attack, nuclear materials, nuclear

waste, etc. There are movies about earthquakes, tidal waves, towering

infernos, etc. That is what is entertaining to many. Your suggestion

that every movie, TV or otherwise, always is going to be 100%

accurate, is just not reality. The bottom line with respect to the

West Wing was that they covered an incident, they spoke in pretty

good technical terms, it wasn't done in an alarmist manner, and, they

even stated at the end that there was no problem.

Now, the real issue I see in some of this debate, is whether you are

implying categorically that under no circumstance, can there ever be

an accident involving transportation of nuclear materials, of any

kind, where there will be any adverse consequences. If that is what

you are saying, I simply have to disagree with you. Accidents will

happen, and, whether we want to believe it or not, sometimes, bad

things do happen.

Yes, sometimes bad things do happen. And when we categorically

dismiss every dialogue as being impossible, we lose our credibility.

I suppose all the disaster preparedness teams are simply formed,

drill, just for show?

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com