Re: Comments on the West Wing episode

Despite the tens of thousands of medical professionals

in this country and clear AHA ACLS protocols, asystole

should never, ever, never, never, ever, never, ever,

ever be shocked.

Yet in movie after movie, I see people seeing flatline

and yelling, "shock" and de-fibing an adult patient

for the first time at 360J.  You also hear a long,

steady "beep" which I have *never* heard from any

cardiac monitor I have seen or used....Zoll, Lifepack,

Physio Control, etc...

Yet you don't hear the AMA jumping up and down that

the movie in question should have gotten it right and

pushed 1mg each of atropine and epinephrine and

searched for reversible causes of the asystole

(pneumonic: ITCH-PAD) including a fluid bolus, maybe

some mag sulfate, or even some bicarb just for the

heck of it do you?

Why should we get all in a tiff just because a current

events show decided to have a make-believe cask

accident of material that wouldn't be shipped in a

cask to begin with (DU)?

Regards,

Tim S.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/