Re: Comments on the West Wing episode

Its very true that TV and movies distort the facts on more than just

nuclear power, but your conclusion that we should no more protest the

distortions in question than the AMA should protest distortions of

cardiac monitor behavior are unfounded for the following reason:  One

set of distortions can have no plausible effect on society, while the

other set has profound effects on society.

What if producers and scriptwriters became convinced that children's

vaccines were really intended to chemically produce a population of

subservient, compliant semi slaves under the control of the

Government/AMA/whatever?  I don't have to make up this scenario because

I have run across people who believe this urban legend.  If they

successfully write shows and movies that persuade people not to get

immunizations for their children, won't that have an effect on society?

And what would we think of the AMA if they were silent on that issue?

Many people would think such silence is a guilty silence.

Does the media's crusade against nuclear anything and its resulting

effect on public perception and voting tendencies have a significant

impact on society?   We might ask the west coast folks how they like

their electric rate hikes, or we could talk about the environment and

green house gases.  But the answer is yes, the impact is significant.

Professional physics organizations should have taken up the discussion

of how to squawk as loudly and effectively as possible.  Instead, some

of them have bowed to political and financial pressure.  I have more

respect for guys like Norm than for them.  As wrong as Norm is, he at

least does what he does in the belief that he is helping others, perhaps

saving lives.  That's way more than I can say for those who should know

better, but are primarily concerned with their careers and their bank

accounts.

	Gary Isenhower

	713-798-8353

	garyi@bcm.tmc.edu