Re: For those who thought West Wing didn't have an impact...

Here's where we lose ground with the public, folks.  A little at a time, in

small steps.

When small distortions (defended as 'artistic license') are introduced into

an overall package that is intended to be seen as factual, the public will

believe it, especially if no one speaks up and says, "Hey, wait a

minute..."   After all, these TV guys do their research, right?

If many people's underlying view of radiation effects is built on the

complete fantasies of 1950's sci-fi movies (and it is), how much more will

their opinion be swayed by TV dramas purporting to depict factual accuracy?

When a distortion is big, it's easy to point that out to people.  It's much

more difficult when the distortions are small (or, turning that around,

it's much easier to mislead people when the lies are little, plausible

ones).

What's worse is that without the distortions, the catastrophes in these

movies wouldn't even be possible.  If I were called as a witness in a trial

where I didn't like the looks of the defendant and decided to testify that

I had seen him perform a criminal act - pure fabrication on my part - my

actions would rightly be considered despicable.  But when the entertainment

industry (the willing lap dogs of the anti-nuclear movement?) can only

portray the dangers of the nuclear industry by fabrication and distortion,

they pat each other on the back and consider themselves heroes for exposing

them.

And so often, we just let them get away with it because it's

"entertainment," and everyone understands that, and no one would use

entertainment as a tool to sway public opinion, would they?

Vincent King,

from a tunnel near Idaho Falls