Comments on the West Wing story line

Ruth Weiner wrote that:

>I have never seen West Wing before, and I likely

>won't watch it again, because TV is such a waste of time, but the truck

>crash appeared to be completely extraneous to the story lines..  It seems

>pretty clear that this is an effort to mobilize public opposition to Yucca

>Mountain and that's why it was aired when it was. However, there really

>wasn't much in it to get media attention (though the media can blow anything

>out of proportion).

and

>Why should West Wing have talked about such an accident at all, when

>it was clearly extraneous to any story line?

>  Ruth

Well if you have never seen a previous episode of West Wing and do

not know that each week there are small (and this one was small)

subplots (Navy ships in a hurricane, a kidnapping, dating habits of

the President's child) how do you reach the conclusion that this rad

issue was included for effect and was timed to have an effect?

A little research into the show would answer your question as to "Why

should West Wing have talked about such an accident at all . . ."

West Wing would be REALLY dull if all we were to see is staffers

answering phones, speech writers writing speeches, press briefings,

and the President going from place to place to make speeches or for

photo opportunities. The West Wing is about subplots laid over the

basic theme of "what goes on in the West Wing."

Since you are an expert on transportation, make your comments to the

network, make your comments to the media, make your comments to

governmental representatives and the public, but you may want to know

a little more about the show before trying to get them to believe

that it was "was clearly extraneous to any story line . . . "

  Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>