Re: MRFA

Ted, these are extremely valuable quotes -- would that DOE and NRC listened to NCRP.

If we were to apply these principles, which sound eminently sensible to me, the whole analysis of radiation dose from incident-free trnasportation is turned upside down.  The only exposures that would really matter, if we were to consider this, would be doses to inspectors, truck crew, railyard crew, shipment escorts, and population living near an accident if the vehicle and cask sit there for many hours.  In other words, the only exposures that would matter would be occupational exposures, except for the last.

Similarly, using the NCRP criteria, we shouldn't "roll up" the accident risks but should just report them as risk = conditional probability*dose from release, and point out the accidents where the average or maximum individual exposure from release or loss of shielding is negligible.

Why hasn't this word reached DOE, or, more cogently, NRC?  NUREG/CR-6672, published in 2000, still includes calculations of exposure from incident-free transportation that use exactly the system that the NCRP has so accurately critiqued.

Again: thank you Ted!

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com