Re: QUESTION regarding radiation theraopy using linear accelerator that produces a 6 MEV photon

Well - actually not quite.

The accelerator accelerates electrons and does so all at the same energy

- it cannot work any other way.  To get photons the electrons strike a

target and then produce a spectrum of photons.

The point was well made about 6 meV photons being a surprisingly high

for this therapy.  I don't do this sort of work so I DON'T KNOW - BUT -

I would suspect that MAYBE they are using the electron beam at an energy

set so as to put the Bragg Peak at the depth of the cancer.  I DO KNOW

that this is the method used when heavy ion accelerators are used for

breast therapies.

But then again - I don't know that this is not a generally distributed

cancer.  If it were - then I would GUESS that the high energy would be

used in a lateral orientation in order to achieve a fairly flat dose

across the entire organ.

I was waiting to see if someone with more specific information would

weigh in on this subject before stepping in myself.