RE: QUESTION regarding radiation theraopy using linear accelerator that produces a 6 MEV photon

A linac is basically a super-powered xray machine. It's not producing a "6

MEV photon".  It's producing a beam of a continuous range of energies, up to a max E of 6 MEV.  So, it's a spectrum like, in diagnostic xray language, a 6 MVp beam, but it's accelerated by RF, not a voltage potential.  The effective E might be, nominally, 2 MEV.  Hint: remember that what delivers the *dose* is electrons.

The RHH is not a great deal of help, in matters of radiological physics, that's not what it's designed for.  I highly recommend: Khan, Faiz M; The Physics of Radiation Therapy; Williams & Wilkins.  For a question like this, the edition number is of no account, I should think.

Cheers (and best wishes for your friend)

cja