QUESTION regarding radiation theraopy using linear accelerator that produces a 6 MEV photon

I am forwarding this question for Michael Coogen. Please respond to

Michael directly at:  michael_coogen@hq.dla.mil

I have a very dear friend whose wife has been diagnosed with

adenocarcinoma of the breast. The radiation therapist is using a

linear accelerator that produces a 6 MEV photon. Looking at Figure

5.3, page 129, in the RHH, June 84 edition, which is for water

absorption (it's the closest graph that is comparative for tissue),

and using the I=Ioe-(u/p)(p)(t) equation, I calculate that 0.8 of the

photons pass right on through the breast. So I ask why use such high

energy photons when most of them are not absorbed. Then looking at

the same graph for Compton scattering, at 6 MEV, the scattering

calculates to be only 7%. At 180 centigrays (rads/day), I conclude

that they need the very high energy photon to minimize compton

scattering to the rest of her body. I also suspect that the cone

created by the scattered photons is less as the energy goes up. Am I

right with these assumptions? Can anyone shed some light on the type

of therapy?

Michael Coogen

michael_coogen@hq.dla.mil

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com