Re: Would anyone care to respond?

O.K., I'll bite.  Here is the response I sent in:

Commercial nuclear power plants receive no "energy

subsidies" unlike renewables which receive a

staggering 1.7 cents/kW-hr.  In order to supply enough

electricity to replace all 103 operating nuclear

reactors with windmills would cost taxpayers about $21

billion per year in direct cash subsidies.  You want

hidden costs?  Well there you go.

Further, nuclear power plants themselves must

currently pay the high price of storage, transport,

and disposal of waste.  Despite this, nuclear power is

still about the lowest cost supplier of electricity

today.  That fact is why energy companies are buying

nuke plants left and right because they such good

investments.  There is no "nuclear bail out."

Lastly, not even Chernobyl had the effects that Lee

describes.  An accident could AT MOST contaminate a

few square miles around the plant and even that has

almost no chance of ever happening.  Contrary, we

would need to evict virtually everyone from a couple

of states just to have enough land area to build

enough windmills to replace all of our nuclear plants.

I can guarantee you that will occur - 100%

probability.  The probability of a nuclear accident

contaminating any land off-site is around 1 in 4

million.  Which do you prefer?

--- Scott Flowerday <Scott.Flowerday@TDH.STATE.TX.US>

wrote:

> The following letter to the editor appeared in this

> morning's Austin

> American Statesman newspaper in response to an

> article which compared costs

> of wind power generation to nuclear.

> "Nuclear boondoggle

*SNIP*