RE: QUESTION regarding radiation theraopy using linear accelerator that produces a 6 MEV photon

Actually, 6 MeV accelerators are the minimum energy that is typically used

for breast cancer, or most other cancers for that matter.

The physics of high energy x-rays and the thickness of the body part to be

treated dictate what energy will be used.

Low energy (e.g., < 300 kVp) x-rays or gamma-rays have a limited ability to

penetrate tissue.  Since most cancers are not superficial, low energy beams

are not used for most therapy.

Passage of high energy photons through tissue causes a build up effect.

That is, the maximum dose occurs not at the surface of the skin, but at some

depth.  For Co-60 gamma rays this is about 0.5 cm, for 6 MVp x-rays it is

1.5 cm.  This has the effect of sparing the top surface layers of the skin

(epidermis and parts of the dermis).  These tissues are more radiation

sensitive than deeper structures.  Hence, more radiation dose can be

delivered to the cancer before serious side effects occur.

In breast cancer, the entire breast is at risk for relapse.  So, it is

important to uniformly treat the entire structure.  Because of its

penetrating ability, a 6 MVp x-ray beam is able to uniformly irradiate the

entire breast when used in a parallel opposed configuration (two beams

delivered 180 degrees apart).  Beams of a lower energy (e.g., Co-60) are

unable to penetrate deeply enough to provide such uniform coverage.  For

some women with unusually large breasts even higher energies may be

necessary (e.g., 15 MVp).

Electrons are not used, by themselves, for breast cancer therapy because

they have a much more limited penetrating ability than x-rays.