RE: Threshold

Ruth,

Have you ever heard in an article that there may be x number of additional

cancers, but the normal incidence rate is y?  We may have an understanding

of the risk of cancer, but many people do not.  It is not that they are

stupid, but because they do not care unless it affects them or someone they

know.

Phlogiston was disproved.  However, the LNT has not.  And probably will not

because it not well defined.  If you have two cell lines, and one is

radiosensitive or genetically unstable, you will have two different

two different results.  It is probably defined for specific systems with

specific end-point effects.  What your complaint, if I understand it, is

that it is being applied to regulations.  What I say is that some

regulations have a threshold below which no actions need to be taken.  If

your statement implies that "talking heads" go before the Congress or are

contacted by the media and make claims of increased cancer deaths, I would

say that their comments need to be considered and responded to.  The public

needs to know that (1) cancers or deaths occur in life and at significant

levels (2) radiation-induced cancers cannot be distinguished from the normal

variations that occur in the population, and (3) the predictions are based

on data that has many confounding factors, and may not be right.  Our

regulations should be based on human epidemiology, but is really driven by

politics.  And not those of the NRC, NCRP, etc., but by the anti-nuclear

commentators and their better lobbying efforts.

Have a nice weekend.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist