Nuclear Power Plants and Terrorism

A comment on terrorist attacks on NPPs

by Joseph L. Alvarez and Fritz A. Seiler

Hi All,

	We have been increasingly irritated with the ongoing discussions about

the purported terrorist threat to nuclear power plants (NPPs) in the

media and also on the RISKANAL and RADSAFE mailing lists.  What bothers

us is the one-sided discussion, looking only at NPPs and their

"terrorist promise".  The comments mostly address the misinformation in

discussing the question "Are NPPs safe from terrorist attacks?" and "Has

the NRC done enough in characterizing the attack potential (707 crash vs

a 747 crash)?" This whole discussion is ridiculous, it is completely of

the anti-nukes' making, and - finally - it is part of their game plan.

They just play on the radio-phobia that they have created in the first

place, and now play it up as much as they can.  The answer to the

question "Will an attack on an NPP be  successful, i.e., cause panic and

large-scale publicity regardless of the outcome?" is: Yes!!  The

activists have seen to that, creating a furor by asking the question in

their own inimitably biased way.

	Unfortunately, the joke is on us, since we have entered into the

minutiae of the trick questions rather than investigate the physics of a

crash into an NPP.  So we will take some time off from writing some more

serious papers and play two wannabe terrorists with evil designs.

	Let us say that we want to induce a maximum of terror by causing

fatalities, injuries, general anxieties, and hopefully even widespread

panic.  Let us also assume that we want to do some real damage not just

perceived damage in the present social climate.  So we ask: What are the

highest local concentrations of hazardous materials in any urban or

suburban environment? So let's start with NPPs, if any, but let us not

forget that there are also all kinds of storage tanks of flammable or

explosive materials, chemical plants with storage tanks for highly toxic

intermediate or by-products, oil refineries, natural gas storage tanks,

and further out even oil and gas fields, CERCLA sites etc.

	Now let us plan to attack them, and see how successful we can be. For

this short discussion we will look at two modes only: First, we will

consider an airplane attack of the 9/11-type, and Second, the actions of

a small group of saboteurs with explosives etc. First, let us forget

about that Fox News journalist in his private plane and a TV camera high

over Indian Point NPP last week, because his "success" really means

nothing.  Now let us look at some of the more pertinent aspects:

1)	Accessibility to toxic material: Access is relatively easy in all

cases, except the NPPs which are guarded better than the average

industrial installation and have two massive concrete shields for

protection of the radioactive materials.  No other industrial production

plant has that kind of protection for their toxic materials.

2)	Secondary effects of an NPP attack: Even a fully fueled Boeing 7X7,

launched full tilt at a NPP has most of its mass in the two or four

engines and the wing tanks.  It is, therefore difficult to impart enough

momentum for the penetration of a small cylindrical object like a

containment building.  Even if one engine hits it dead on, the others

will not, so what we get is a jet engine and a lot of burning fuel that

penetrate the containment.  But the concrete shielded reactor is still

intact and running and can be shut down.  The probability of severe

damage to the control system that would lead not to an emergency

shutdown but to a power excursion and an explosion is so minute that as

educated terrorists we would not even try it.  ....  The expected payoff

is far too small! The skill required to make a hit on containment

requires an experienced pilot for the chosen aircraft.  The Fox

journalist should have at least flown his plane through a near ground

level bull's eye.   :-)

		The only reason why we would consider attacking a NPP would be to use

the overblown fears of anything to do with radioactivity that the anti

nukes have spread so successfully among the general population.  So as

smart terrorists we would use the wildly exaggerated perceived risks of

radiation to spread as much terror as possible. And extend our humble

but subversive terrorist thanks to the anti nukes. ;-))

3)	Other targets, that do not need an airliner as a projectile - not

even a small private airplane - are far more promising from a

terrorist's point of view.  All that is needed is a local penetration of

a small group of saboteurs into a plant that has at best a defense of

some walls with multiple wire fences, a knowledge of where the most

toxic agents are kept, and how to blow their containers up.  Thus, it

does not require much knowledge of industrial chemistry to create

hundreds if not thousands of Mini- and Macro-Bhopals all over the world

with all kinds of toxic agents. It is not general knowledge that quite

large quantities of hazardous and toxic substances are present in most

chemical, and in many industrial plants.

4)	Yet another promising type of attack is to carry a highly toxic,

explosive or otherwise dangerous agent into an enclosed environment and

release it.  This approach has been used many times in the past and is a

very effective tool for terrorists, from the release of the poison gas

Sarin in a Japanese subway to the homicidal suicide bombings in a crowd

in a Palestine restaurant.  Also, high jacking some 'toxic' waste from a

remediation project and spreading it around would be a nice effort.

After all, the stuff is certified to be dangerous, and the media are

sure to play it up for all it is worth and then some!

	From this simple discussion it is clear that trying to do a successful

terrorist attack on a NPP is one of the least promising courses of

action.  The 9/11 attack was a large scale operation requiring a

broad-based effort of many people.  After that opening shot, terrorist

aims are best served by many smaller, widespread actions with low

perpetrator risks and small efforts, each resulting in several hundreds

or thousands of victims.  Thus, small terrorist attacks carried out all

the time and just about everywhere constitute the backbone of a

successful terrorist campaign, and if a ‘biggie' can be thrown in, all

the better, but it is just an acorn in the pig food, not the grist.

	Now we will get back to some more serious work!!

	Best regards,

	Joe & Fritz

************************

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph. D.