Shipments to South Carolina

NEW ELLENTON, S.C. (AP) - State troopers got a taste of what might be

in store next month during a mock exercise in which they practiced

blocking a shipment of plutonium from Colorado.

Gov. Jim Hodges, who is locked in a dispute with the Department of

Energy over the shipments, ordered the practice drill Monday for

about three dozen state troopers and transport police officers.

As part of the drill, patrol cars blocked a four-lane road near the

Savannah River Site, a nuclear facility about 10 miles from the

Georgia state line.

Officers declared the exercise a success after managing to convince

the driver of an 18-wheel tractor-trailer - in reality, a vehicle

borrowed from the state Department of Correction - to turn around.

Officials said they didn't know whether it would be that easy when

trucks carrying plutonium and escorted by armed federal officers make

the same attempted entrance. Energy officials have said shipments

could begin by May 15.

``I think they'll turn around,'' Hodges said. But, he added, ``We'll

take whatever steps are necessary to keep the plutonium out of

here.''

Maybe the Governor could call up the boys at The Citadel.  I vaguely remember that the boys have some experience at this sort of thing, albeit it was approximately 150 years ago, but it's like riding a bike.........

Michael D. Kent