UV-B ecologic studies

Two recent ecologic studies by Bill Grant bgrant@infi.net

Dr. Cohen has recently stated he would be glad to

explain how any other ecologic studies could produce an

erroneous inverse assocation.  Dr. Cohen would you be

willing to show how these studies could produce the

inverse associations they found?

If not, pehaps this is a "treatment" worth adding to

your ecologic studies?  Bill could likely send you his

ecologic data files for sun exposure.

Regards, Bill

Cancer 2002 Mar 15;94(6):1867-75

An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S.

due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation.

Grant WB.

BACKGROUND: There are large geographic gradients in

mortality rates for a number of cancers in the U.S.

(e.g., rates are approximately twice as high in the

northeast compared with the southwest). Risk factors

such as diet fail to explain this variation. Previous

studies have demonstrated that the geographic

distributions for five types of cancer are related

inversely to solar radiation. The purpose of the current

study was to determine how many types of cancer are

affected by solar radiation and how many premature

deaths from cancer occur due to insufficient ultraviolet

(UV)-B radiation. METHODS: UV-B data for July 1992 and

cancer mortality rates in the U.S. for between 1970-1994

were analyzed in an ecologic study. RESULTS: The

findings of the current study confirm previous results

that solar UV-B radiation is associated with reduced

risk of cancer of the breast, colon, ovary, and prostate

as well as non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Eight additional

malignancies were found to exhibit an inverse

correlation between mortality rates and UV-B radiation:

bladder, esophageal, kidney, lung, pancreatic, rectal,

stomach, and corpus uteri. The annual number of

premature deaths from cancer due to lower UV-B exposures

was 21,700 (95% confidence interval [95% CI], 20,400-

23,400) for white Americans, 1400 (95% CI, 1100-1600)

for black Americans, and 500 (95% CI, 400-600) for Asian

Americans and other minorities. CONCLUSIONS: The results

of the current study demonstrate that much of the

geographic variation in cancer mortality rates in the

U.S. can be attributed to variations in solar UV-B

radiation exposure. Thus, many lives could be extended

through increased careful exposure to solar UV-B

radiation and more safely, vitamin D3 supplementation,

especially in nonsummer months. Copyright 2002 American

Cancer Society.

Cancer 2002 Jan 1;94(1):272-81

An ecologic study of dietary and solar ultraviolet-B

links to breast carcinoma mortality rates.

Grant WB.

Newport News, Virginia, USA.

BACKGROUND: The role of diet in the etiology of breast

carcinoma has been debated for decades. The ecologic

approach generally finds that dietary fat is highly

associated with breast carcinoma mortality, with fish

intake and solar ultraviolet-B (UV-B) radiation, a

source of vitamin D, inversely associated. Case-control

and cohort studies generally find a variety of chemical,

nonfat dietary, environmental, genetic, lifestyle, and

reproductive factors to be important. METHODS: An

ecologic study was conducted using breast carcinoma

mortality rates (1989-1996), dietary supply data, and

latitude (an index of solar UV-B radiation) from 35

countries. RESULTS: The fraction of energy derived from

animal products (risk) combined with that from vegetable

products (risk reduction), followed by solar UV-B

radiation and, to a lesser extent, energy derived from

alcohol (risk) and fish intake (risk reduction), were

found to explain 80% of the variance of breast carcinoma

mortality rates. Dietary fat contributed insignificantly

in regressions involving the other factors. CONCLUSIONS:

It is hypothesized that animal products are associated

with risk for breast carcinoma because they are

associated with greater amounts of insulin-like growth

factor-1 and lifetime doses of estrogen. Vegetable

products contain several risk reduction components

including antioxidants and phytoestrogens. The

association with latitude is very likely because of

solar UV-B radiation and vitamin D. Alcohol modulates

estrogen's effects on breasts. Fish intake is associated

with risk reduction through vitamin D and n-3 oils.

These results are consistent with those of many case-

control and cohort studies but should be assessed in

well designed cohort studies. Copyright 2002 American

Cancer Society.