frustrated?

Are you frustrated with your Radsafe membership? Posting more but enjoying

it less? I thought I would take a moment to mention a few of the common

problems that people are having with their memberships, to possibly

alleviate some frustrations.

1) Remember that there are two distinct lists - "radsafe" or

"radsafe-digest". These are independent lists in this incarnation of

Radsafe, so if you are a digest list member, you have to specifically

interact with the "radsafe-digest" list, not "radsafe". Oh, yes, remember

the hyphen in "radsafe-digest".

2) Subtle changes in your e-mail address, often introduced by your network

provider, may make your address unrecognizable to the server. These

computers are just SO picky, if one letter is different in your e-mail

address from what is on the server, you can't post, can't interact directly

with the server (to close or change your account, etc.). You CAN send a

message saying (for example) "uns*bscribe radsafe jimmy.jones@cowfarm.com"

from another address (e.g. jimmy.jones@nebraska.cowfarm.com). The server

will ask my permission, and I'll grant it. But if you just send the command

"uns*bscribe radsafe" from the "nebraska.cowfarm" address, when "cowfarm" is

subscribed, the server just yawns and refuses to deal with you. If you are

having problems, just e-mail me, and I can manually make changes for you.

3) Another common problem is that people have several e-mail addresses, all

autoforwarded to one address that they like to use (I do this also).

Remember that you can only post or interact with the server from the actual

address that the server knows for you.

Happy posting! Don't let these stupid piles of silicon ruin your day, you're

far smarter than they are!

Mike

PS -please don't start e-mailing my cousin Jimmy in Nebraska and asking him

for help on radsafe. He's a simple man, like your humble moderator, and

likes to be left alone.

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068