FW: The Harvard Crimson Online Opinion

Here's some additional info. from a "Radsafer" who wishes to remain

anonymous.

Bates Estabrooks

	Sent:	Tuesday, April 30, 2002 9:09 AM

	To:	'Estabrooks, Bates (IHK) '

	Subject:	RE: The Harvard Crimson Online  Opinion

	Bates,

	Thanks for forwarding the note.  I did some research and sent a

letter to the editor of the Crimson as follows:

	While, on balance, I found the subject opinion piece to be fair,

there is one inaccuracy that must not be allowed to pass.  It regards the

claim that (my emphasis): Many Nevadans reject responsibility for the

nation's nuclear waste because they utilize a high percentage of renewable

energy sources, mainly hydroelectric power from the Hoover Dam.

	This is simply incorrect.  If the author had done his research

(which at Harvard should be top notch!), he would have realized that Nevada

Power purchases only 235 MW of power from Hoover Dam (out of more than 2000

MW generated by the plant -

http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/sites/hoover/hoover.htm

<http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/sites/hoover/hoover.htm> ); the rest goes

mostly to California and Arizona users.  The amount of renewable power

generated or purchased by Nevada Power (if you include hydroelectric at

17.33%) is less than 25%.  I would not call this a high percentage.  About

two thirds of the power comes from fossil fuel (mostly coal and natural

gas).  What is missing in the article is that Nevada, while it has no

nuclear power plants within its boundaries, purchases 8.36% of its power

from nuclear power plants (probably the ones in Southern California and

Arizona).  Therefore, the claims that Nevadans do not DIRECTLY benefit from

nuclear power are, quite frankly, preposterous, since currently one in 12 of

their lightbulbs glows with nuclear electricity.

	Source:

http://sierrapacificresources.com/images/np_energysources.pdf

<http://sierrapacificresources.com/images/np_energysources.pdf>