Re: Tooth Fairy Project - NY Times - some responses

Hi Radsafers,

   I thought that Mangano was very careful to claim nothing more than a request for

additional studies. My personal experience with Joe Mangano is that he is more

circumspect and cautious in his statements than Alec Baldwin, or Sternglass or

Gould.

  Mangano has done two statistical studies for Salem County (NJ), and both show that

when the reactors were shut down for repair from 1995-1998, that infant mortality,

low birthwieght in infants, and immune system connected diseases all went down. When

the reactors went back on line, these catagories went up.

  To Julie who asked about anecdotal evidence about cancer: at least in NJ, around

Oyster Creek and Salem, people do indeed talk about cancers in their friends and

family. In fact, the woman who was the local Salem Tooth Fairy watched her husband

and then her two dogs die of lymphoma.

  Now none of this proves that Salem/Hope Creek causes cancer, and we at Unplug

Salem don't say that. What we do say is that continual doses of  low level radiation

over periods of time affect the immune system of those most at risk:

fetuses, infants, and the elderly. A weakened immune system allows other

environmental toxins (and Salem County has plenty of them) to have a stronger

effect. (synergism). All we, and the folks around Oyster Creek, and Joe Mangano are

saying is that these statistics and apparant effects should be studied by an

independent group, not the TFP, not the NIH,

but an independent 3rd party.

 To David Neil:  I indeed would feel better about the study if it were published in

a 'major' peer reviewed journal.

To: Stewart Farber - to my knowledge, no politician has 'thrown money' to the TFP.

As far as I know, they've raised

   their funding privately and thru donations. An attempt in NJ to get funding was

vetoed by then Governor Whitman.

To: Ruth Weiner - apologies in advance for all my typos and lack of capitalization.

;-)

peace