responsibility?

John Jacobus writes -

>While the specific subject is off topic, I think that the issue of holding

>groups accountable for their actions is interesting.  Maybe other

>organizations such as Greenpeace should be looked at.

That's not off topic. The issue of anti-nuke groups being or not being

responsible for their own actions, should this place public health and

safety at risk in cases of irresponsible fearmongering, is quite on topic.

But these are interesting times. Many "groups" - antinuclear, pro-life,

pro-animal rights, militaristic and white supremacist, pro-Palestinian

rights, etc. - may or may not be responsible for some violent or illegal

actions of their members. If the group whips people up into a fervor and

says "we must act!", and some members take that to mean "I should do

anything necessary to bring about change, including hurting someone", is the

"group" ultimately responsible? Were they speaking responsibly and some

individuals acted wrongly, or were they playing shadow games and trying to

dodge the consequences? Tough question in all cases.

Mike

(PS, it will be easy for this to go off topic, given current events, so

please maintain the discussion somewhat related to radsafe issues, OK?

Thanks.)

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068