Re: chirper

On 30 May 2002 at 17:26, Kevin Wright wrote:

> Over the years, I have seen many problems thwarted by attentive staff.  Good staff will help you select equipment appropriate for your

> facility (and possibly at reduced cost). Good equipment enhances the worker, but the best equipment in the world will not stop all

> incidents when the users are inattentive or poorly trained.  Equipment that is too high-tech and costly sometimes causes workers to

> lose their "ownership" of a job, thus decreasing their effectiveness.

Your basic premise has merit, but, let me just make a few comments:

(1) Not all staff will be good.

(2) Continuous training and re-qualification is essential

(3) Appropriate procedures are required, and, need to be reviewed and

updated periodically

(4) Management oversight is critical. Periodic management reviews are

required to assess the program

(5) Appropriate equipment for the job must be provided.

(6) Staff need to be familiar with all equipment, limitations and

maintenance requirements

In this case, a secondary alarming dosimeter is a requirement. It

doesn't protect you 100% from any known or unknown hazard. It simply

provides the individual with the means to understand the work

environment that is being worked in. As with any tool, the worker

should be checking the alarming dosimeter to ensure that it continues

to function within the work area. One should not rely solely on the

assumption that the alarm will in fact, go off. The worker can not

become complacent when using any equipment.

The whole discussion, except for some comments, appear to be skirting

the whole issue, that being, radiographers are known to have many

problems with unexpected dose being received. Therefore, the

discussion regarding whether an electronic alarming dosimeter, or a

chirper, or some other dosimeter should be sued, misses the point

entirely. The worker should use whatever equipment will assist in

minimizing unexpected exposure, and, provide for continual

information on the work environment.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com