RE: Pocket Radiation Monitors

Otto Raabe asked:

	>Today's NEWS says that the 4000 U.S. Customs officers are being supplied

	>with pocket radiation detectors. Does anyone know what kind and model they

	>are?

>From hints in various news releases about the U.S. Customs,  I think the radiation detector is probably the "Radiation Pager", made by Sensor Technology Engineering Inc. of Santa Barbara, California. The pocket unit uses a CsI detector and lists for $1500.  More information, a picture, and specs are at http://www.nttc.edu/ertProgram/radpager.asp

There is also STE's "Radiation Pager-S". It uses the CsI detector and lists for $2200.  The Radiation Pager-S has a feature that can be used by HAZMAT teams and trained users to more precisely locate a hazardous source.  More info is at http://www.nttc.edu/ertProgram/radpagers.asp

The Radiation Pager was probably used by New York police during the New Year's Eve celebrations in Times Square based on information from http://www.radjournal.com/articles/newyear/nuke.htm.

Another STE radiation detector, the HRM, is sensitive to gammas and and also incorporates a He-3-filled proportional counter for detecting thermal neutrons. It lists for $5500. More info is at  http://www.nttc.edu/ertProgram/handheld.asp.

Rick

Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D.

Principal Scientist

Signature Science LLC