Pu contact dose rates

Dear RADSAFErs,

I am in need of some of those rare numbers that we normally don't worry too

much about - the  alpha-particle contact dose rates from tranuranic isotopes

such as the plutoniums, curiums, etc.  Since this is easily shielded, most

references that I have don't actually calculate surface or contact dose

rates.  What I am looking for would be a reference for dose rates (or more

likely a method for calculating them) for various situations ranging from

surface contamination from fine particulates all the way to contact with

solid metal.

I have done some calculations myself, but would like a referencable source

that I can validate my numbers with and cite in formal reports.

Perhaps two examples will help explain the request: (1)  a foil of metalic

Pu-238 is in direct contact with a plastic case - what is the alpha dose

rate on the surface layer of the plastic?  (2) a piece of glass is

contaminated with 1E7 dpm per 100 cm^2 of Cm-243 - what is the alpha dose

rate on the surface of the glass?

This is probably not of great interest to all of RADSAFE, please respond to

me directly at the address below.

Thanks,

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP

National Nuclear Security Administration, US DOE

<Douglas.Minnema@nnsa.doe.gov>