Re: Sensory Perception of Radiation

    I am not sure that humans cannot sense or perceive ionizing radiation.

Several years ago while working in areas with  increased radiation levels, I

thought I sensed a "tingling" sensation in and around my eyelids, especially

when my eyes were closed. Perhaps it was psychosomatic, but when I discussed

it with coworkers, some said that they also had a similar sensation. I tried

to interest the AEC (it was a long time ago) into sponsoring a study

(controlled experiments) to investigate the possibility on sensory

perception of radiation, but nobody seemed interested at that time. I forgot

about it until this subject came up here.

    Does anyone know if any scientific inquiry has been done on human

sensory perception of radiation?

"Perhaps we humans lack a specific organ for sensing ionizing radiation

simply because we do not need one. Our bodies’ defense mechanism provides

ample protection over the whole range of natural radiation levels—that is,

from below 1 mSv to above 280 mSv per year.3,4 That range is much greater

than the range of temperatures—about 50K—that humans are normally exposed

to. Increasing the water temperature in your bath tub by only 80 K, from a

pleasant level of 293 K to boiling point at 373 K (that is, by a factor of

only 1.3), or decreasing it below freezing point (that is, by a factor of

1.07), would eventually kill you.

"Because such lethal high or low temperatures are often found in the

biosphere, the evolutionary development of an organ that can sense heat and

cold has been essential for survival. Organs of smell and taste have been

even more vital as defenses against dangerously toxic or infected food. But

a lethal dose of ionizing radiation delivered in one hour—which for an

individual human is 3000 to 5000 mSv—is a factor of 10 million higher than

the average natural radiation dose that one would receive over the same time

period (0.00027 mSv). Compared with other noxious agents, ionizing radiation

is rather feeble. Nature seems to have provided living organisms with an

enormous safety margin for natural levels of ionizing radiation—and also,

adventitiously, for man-made radiation from controlled, peacetime sources.

"In short, conditions in which levels of ionizing radiation could be noxious

do not normally occur in the bioúsphere, so no radiation-sensing organ has

been needed in humans and none has evolved."

Regards, Jim