RE: Cohen's Ecologic Studies

Marco,

Dr. Lubin is a statistician at the National Cancer

Institute. The abstract is more understandable after

reading the paper.  I am sure Dr. Lubin's abstract was

not meant to confuse anyone.  If you have specific

questions about the abstract, I would suggest you get a

copy of the paper first, and then direct further

questions directly to him.

The bottom line as I have been trying to get across in

HP publications for years is that smoking is not a

linear function within or across counties in the United

States.  If it were, then you could possibly adjust for

it better at the ecologic level. As for Dr. Cohen's

ecologic analyses, he can account for only about 30% of

the lung cancer mortality with his smoking data. Cohen's

derived LNTT formula does not have the ability to adjust

for non-linear covariates like the BEIR VI formula

does.  Therefore, there remains substantial residual

confounding from smoking and other factors. Some of the

confounding factors may not even be confounders at the

individual level, but only at the ecologic level.  For

an example, please read Dr. Lubin's paper.

Bill Field

http://myprofile.cos.com/Fieldrw