Re: Cohen's Ecologic Studies (R-squared)

Kai,

If you hope to determine if the relationship is linear

or not between radon exposure and lung cancer, you need

to be able to account for smoking.  I would have more

confidence that he could account for smoking if he was

able to show that his surrogate measures for county

averaged smoking rates could at least help to predict

the lung cancers within the county.  The low r-squared

value indicates to me that he is not able to adequately

account for smoking.

Bill Field