RE: Cohen's Ecologic Studies

<<It used to be that only original, experimental, scientific results (as

opposed to ideas and (re)calculations) were accepted for publication on

respected scientific journals.>>

A May 31 article in the Tri-City Herald stated that "gadfly scientist Norm

Buske's research on thorium and europium in the Hanford Reach is too flawed

to be valid." In a letter to the Government Accountability Project, a

Hanford watchdog organization, Patrick Sabotta, head of the Nez Perce

tribe's environmental restoration program, wrote that "Buske's research

appeared biased, did not follow universally accepted scientific procedures,

contained little or no information on his methodologies, was unfocused, did

not use an independent lab to analyze water samples, and did not back up its

conclusions on paper. If we want to hold (the Department of Energy) and its

contractors to these high standards, then other organizations conducting

studies at Hanford should also abide by the same standards."

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer