depth profiling with detectors

Phil and all,

Many years ago in a former life, I was looking at these techniques during

the establishment of the UMTRA program (circa 1980).  I spent a lot of time

on the Grand Junctions mill tailings pile and others playing with

instrumentation, and also worked with the calibration models you mentioned.

I had two basic problems at the time, but have been long removed from the

program, so I don't know if either was addressed.

First, at the time they were using a deconvolution technique to correct the

raw logging data to improve the estimate of the spatial distribution of the

results.  This technique had been developed for hard rock well-logging

during the days when the US was evaluating the available uranium resources.

My studies indicated that these deconvolution algorithms were very sensitive

to the statistical fluctuations of the data, which were especially

problemmatic when dealing with small signal-to-noise ratios.

Second, I had a great deal of difficulty finding a method of establishing a

borehole in loose soil.  We tried multiple techniques for casing a hole, and

then after sampling we trenched around the casing and took soil samples for

comparison.  No matter which way we used, we always cross-contaminated the

hole to the point where the results were not really characteristic of the

situation.

As these things often go, the project was taken over by another group before

I could come to resolution on these issues, although I had conveyed to them

my observations.  I am curious as to how these concerns are dealt with

today.

Thanks,

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP

National Nuclear Security Administration, US DOE

<Douglas.Minnema@nnsa.doe.gov>