More "Adminstradium"

All,

New "proposed legislation" here in California.   Looks like "someone" is doing all they can to further "complicate" utilizing radioactive material in this state, including disposal...  It appears to me that the bills do not, in themselves, contribute to better monitoring, use, transfer or disposal of RAM....

... just "my" 2 cents (not necessarily those of my employer, the Navy)...

Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
SSC-SD

Assembly Bill 2214

Bill Summary

Prohibits:
(1)     Licensing for disposal of low-level radioactive waste (LLRW) unless the facilities meet specific requirements.
      (2)       Proposed Ward Valley radioactive waste disposal site from serving as the state’s facility for the Southwest LLRW Compact.

Senate Bill No. 1444

Bill Summary:

Prohibits:
(1)     Department of Health Services (DHS) from issuing a license to receive radioactive materials for disposal on land unless specific requirements are satisfied.
            (2) Sale, transfer or lease of “radioactive contaminated property” for reuse until radioactive material has been removed and transferred to a licensed radioactive waste disposal facility, unless  deed restrictions are  recorded.

Requires:
(1)     Use of thorough and rigorous monitoring of “radioactive contaminated property” using “best available techniques, equipment and methodology.”
            (2) Removal of any residual radioactive contamination above background, except as specified.