Fwd: Dirty Bomb

Radsafers,

Here is an interesting observation from my son, Chris, a recent addition to

the medical physics ranks.

Bob C, the proud papa

The public’s idea of nuclear terrorism may depend on

which newspaper articles they read.  Two wire service

reports on the terrorist arrested for plotting a

“dirty bomb” attack describe the nature of such a

device.  The plot was in the planning stage, and I did

not find specific details on the nature of the

radioactivity.

>From AP:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=514&e=2&cid=514&u=/ap/20020610/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/terror_arrest_16

A "dirty bomb" would not result in a nuclear

explosion, but experts say such a device could release

relatively small amounts of radiation over several

city blocks. Its most devastating effect would be in

the panic it likely would cause. For that reason, it

has been called an ideal terrorist weapon.

>From Reuters:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=1&cid=578&u=/nm/20020610/ts_nm/attack_dirtybomb_dc_5

A so-called dirty bomb involves exploding a

conventional device wrapped in or laced with

radioactive material that can kill victims in the

immediate area and spread highly toxic material to

humans, causing mass death and injury.

-Chris