Re: Dirty Bomb - CNN Accuracy?

In a message dated 6/11/02 11:12:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time, mcnaught@lanl.gov writes:

Remember Goiania. What should you do with a child who is contaminated with
Cs-137? (a) wash her, or (b) isolate her? The hospital chose: b.

mike
Mike McNaughton
Los Alamos National Lab.

My guess is that the hospital identified the child as contaminated, then washed her, then evaluated the contamination remaining and decided to isolate her.

I once worked with a man who was thoroughly contaminated with Cs-137 (elsewhere).  He was fine except for an unrelated intestinal infection.  We followed his excretion pattern for several hundred days.  Interestingly, most of his excretion was in the feces.  He worked at a nuclear facility and did not require isolation.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee