Re: Surviving a Dirty Bomb

In a message dated 6/11/2002 9:05:37 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

smhp@BELLSOUTH.NET writes:

<< Chances are the on-scene responders

 will provide some sort of shower facility.

I doubt it.  Just go home and take the shower, and clean the bathroom.

 Do not retrieve vehicles or personal effects that are near the blast

 scene, especially if they are coated with visible dust from the blast.

Maybe the community will provide hoses to wash vehicles off.  I don't think

it makes much sense to advise people to abandon a $20,000 vehicle because of

external contamination.  I don't think they would follow the advice either.

I wouldn't.  I'd find a way to docontaminate.

 The rest of the advice is pretty good.  I don't know that most doctors are

going to know more than just application of the linear ceofficient 0.0005

LCF/rem, if they know that.  They usually don't know how to calculate dose.

What is needed for the long term is a rough assessmentof airborne and

deposited activity, and some HP help in calculating average and collective

dose.

RuthF. Weiner, Ph. D.

ruthweiner@aol.com