RE: Arming Mechanisms Auctioned for $167,500

These plugs were fairly simple safety devices that were inserted into the

body of the weapon from outside the casing.  I don't know how they

functioned exactly, but they apparently interrupted the firing circuits

while they were in place.  One of the last responsibilities of the Enola Gay

crew before dropping the bomb was to pull these plugs.  As I understand it,

a crew member had to crawl into the bomb bay to get to them.

Seems to me that these were described in Rhoades book, "The Making of the

Atomic Bomb", as well as in other descriptions of the event.

Doug Minnema