Re: Swipe tests

In a message dated 06/15/2002 2:49:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

There
was one detail that puzzled me - swipe tests - of my shoes - of contents of
my luggage (I don't even carry the allowed amount of chocolate). Now what
where those swipe tests for if not for radioactivity?

They are actually looking for explosives residue.  I'm not sure how the analytical device works, but they've been doing this at most airports in the U.S. for years on purses and other carry-ons.  The shoes are an added bonus now due to the Richard Reid shoe-bomber incident.

Barbara