Re: Swipe tests

http://www.thermo.com/eThermo/CDA/Products/Product_Detail/1,1075,14817-167,00.html

Excerpts:

How EGIS Works

Simple One-Person, One-Button Operation

The EGIS System utilizes identical separation and detection technologies used in advanced forensic laboratories worldwide: gas chromatography combined with chemiluminescent detection, providing the EGIS with the ultimate in speed, accuracy and sensitivity – without compromise.  Gas chromatography is the most widely used scientific technique for the positive separation and identification of explosive compounds in a complex mixture.  The sample material is heated into a gaseous form, added to a carrier gas and introduced into the “separation column” where the mixture is separated into its individual component compounds by precisely controlled temperature cycling.  These components are passed to the chemiluminescent detector in the carrier gas

Sample Wipe Method

The EGIS detection system utilizes specially designed sample wipes to obtain its sample.  The EGIS operator rubs a sample wipe on the surfaces of objects, areas, vehicles, or people to collect any explosive residue present.  The amount of sampling time varies from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the size of the object, the security risk involved, and the amount of time that is available to conduct the sampling.  When done, the operator immediately inserts the sample wipe into the sample inlet port on the EGIS, which automatically initiates an analysis cycle.

C0744DB355C3D2119CDA0008C7A49D92053AEB1D@doexch01.INEL.GOV">

When leaving the U.S. (Miami) a day ago there was a lot of anti-terrorist
checking which I to a large extent appreciate. Had to take off my sandals
twice to have them inspected as well as many other things such as camera
equipment, my wallet was opened (they found a headache pill there). There
was one detail that puzzled me - swipe tests - of my shoes - of contents of
my luggage (I don't even carry the allowed amount of chocolate). Now what
where those swipe tests for if not for radioactivity?

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/