Re: Swipe tests

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Chuck Cooper <ccc@pp.pdx.edu>

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Montag, 17. Juni 2002 18:34

Betreff: Re: Swipe tests

>http://www.thermo.com/eThermo/CDA/Products/Product_Detail/1,1075,14817-167,

00.html

>Excerpts:

>How EGIS Works

>Simple One-Person, One-Button Operation

>The EGIS System utilizes identical separation and detection technologies

>used in advanced forensic laboratories worldwide: gas chromatography

>combined with chemiluminescent detection, providing the EGIS with the

>ultimate in speed, accuracy and sensitivity - without compromise.  Gas

>chromatography is the most widely used scientific technique for the

>positive separation and identification of explosive compounds in a

>complex mixture.  The sample material is heated into a gaseous form,

>added to a carrier gas and introduced into the "separation column" where

>the mixture is separated into its individual component compounds by

>precisely controlled temperature cycling.  These components are passed

>to the chemiluminescent detector in the carrier gas

>  Sample Wipe Method

>The EGIS detection system utilizes specially designed sample wipes to

>obtain its sample.  The EGIS operator rubs a sample wipe on the surfaces

>of objects, areas, vehicles, or people to collect any explosive residue

>present.  The amount of sampling time varies from a few seconds to a few

>minutes depending on the size of the object, the security risk involved,

>and the amount of time that is available to conduct the sampling.  When

>done, the operator immediately inserts the sample wipe into the sample

>inlet port on the EGIS, which automatically initiates an analysis cycle.

Thank you for the information. I have been subject to such "wipe tests" two

or three times. Last time it was in Los Angeles in November 2001, when

flying from Hawaii to Europe. I remember that the handle of my briefcase was

"wiped" with something like a filter paper and put into an apparatus, where

it remained in open air. So this sure was no gas-chromatograph. It probably

was some fluorescence device. The procedure was over very fast - which again

is an argument against gas-chromatography.

I do not remember when and where the other occasion(s) of such a wipe test

happened, but it was long long time before last September. I rather thought

it would be for detecting drugs.

Btw in all that hectic and nervous situation for being checked, questioned,

hand baggage X-rayed with literarilly thousands of people waiting to get to

the gates and their planes I forgot my wallet at the X-ray unit and luckily

in the very last moment I found out and rushing back I could get it back.

This was probably off-topic, but my next comment in connection with this

sure is not:

Hopefully additionally radiation detectors have now been installed at

airports after the baggage X-ray units and the metal detectors, which can

detect, whether someone has a kilo of Cs-137 or the 10 kilos of Pu-239

needed for the terrorist bomb to be built on the kitchen table?

Best regards,

Franz