RE: Dose limits for emergency workers (was Dirty Bomb)

Title: RE: Dose limits for emergency workers (was Dirty Bomb)

Kai,

Limits for protecting valuable property (10 rem) and lifesaving/protecting large populations (25 rem) were established in

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Manual of Protective Action Guides and Protective Actions for Nuclear Incidents",

        EPA-400-R-92-001, May 1992.

A brief search of the EPA's site did not turn up an online version, but here's a starting place for more info:

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/rert/pags.htm

The emergency doses and their potential health impacts are discussed in NRC Regulatory Guide 8.29, which can be found at:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/reg-guides/occupational-health/active/8-29/08-029.pdf

Regards,

Ben

ben.morgan@pgnmail.com