Re: The Nation article on nuke plant security

The only comment I would make on this subject is as follows:

I am employed at a nuclear facility where plutonium is stored.  The facility has a permanent highly trained security force.  This force is equipped with firearms, "hardened" security vehicles, flak jackets etc. etc.  However most days these items are not in evidence.  They exists but they are not used.  Immediately after 9/11 there were a number of significant changes to the security arrangements, not least an increase in the number of security personnel visible.  The wearing of flak jackets, and the carrying of "long arms" (assault rifles).  Private vehicles were restricted from entering the site etc. etc.  Some of these arrangements have now been relaxed and security personnel no longer visibly carry "long arms" and wear flak jackets.  The decision to relax these arrangements is based on the recommendations of government security agencies.  I can only presume that this applies equally to nuclear facilities in the US.  On! e should also consider that the terrorist threats, which includes amongst others has the Provisional Irish Republican Army, has existed in the United Kingdom for many several decades (at least from the late sixties onwards) and not just since 9/11.

So while articles may be written, denigrating the security arrangements that are in place at US nuclear facilities, it is unlikely to be an accurate reflection of the true security capabilities of these sites. I would hope, that despite the freedom of information act, these arrangements never become public knowledge.  However I am concerned that articles that "talk down" nuclear security arrangements, or publicise some of these arrangements might only encourage those who wish to undertake terrorist acts, to target nuclear facilities.

I apologise in advance if anyone should feel that I am biased towards "big brother" and the "Government", but I do feel that some issue should not be up for public debate.  If there are concerns about this type of issue they should be aired in private by elected representatives, congress, senate or governer and that is how they should remain - private.

Regards
     Julian Ginniver