RE: HP question - alpha sources - THANKS + redux

Title: RE: HP question - alpha sources - THANKS + redux

Thanks again to all who responded and helped me understand.

For others who wanted to know, the answer (see question below) is of course that Po-210 has a much shorter physical and biological T½ -- only 138d & 50d respectively, versus the 50-year bio-T½ of both Pu-239 & Am-241. This was the main point in the replies. The ALI for Po-210 is 100x higher than those of Pu-239 & Am-241, implying that Po-210 is considered 100x less harmful than Pu-239 & Am-241.

Some also suggested its the progeny ingrowth over 50 years -- the fact that Po-210 turns to stable lead-206, whereas the two transuranics have radioactive progeny. My guess is that this is not such a big factor, since the ingrowth would be minute over 50y -- Pu-239 & Am-241 decay to U-235 & Np-237 (respectively, I think) both of which have multi-million-year T½.

Some replies also suggested that I should have been able to figure this out by myself -- which is true.
My confusion started when I read a publication which stated that "The International Commission on Radiological Protection calculates that polonium-210 is five to ten times more harmful than plutonium 239." This is evidently false. The problem is that it was written by a respected scientist - which made it hard for me to believe that it could possibly be wrong !

Oh well, live & learn.....
....its so easy to get mixed up in these things !

Cheers,

Jaro