RE: Rad Sources for Workshops

I use about a half cup of "No-Salt" salt alternative available at your

local grocery store for show and tell during radiation worker training.

About 150 grams in a Tupperware container yields about 100 ccpm with a

pancake probe through the cover.  Uncovered, it goes up to about 400 ccpm.

This demonstrates the effects of shielding.  It allows me to illustrate the

difference between radiation and contamination.  Since the next stop in the

process prior to being issued dosimetry is to get a whole body count, I

explain that the isotope that is giving off the radiation is potassium-40,

the same isotope that they will see reported on their WBC.  I then toss in

the approximate dose from the gamma emissions from sleeping with your

significant other for 8 hours/day, for a year just for perspective.  I

figure if I keep using No-Salt, I'll probably put the company out of

business so get it while you can.

Just an analog guy in a digital world.

Paul Prichard

Millstone Station