From: William V Lipton [mailto:liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM]
Sent: Wednesday June 19, 2002 2:36 PM
To: maury
Cc: Wade Miller Jr.; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Rad Sources for Workshops

Please tell me you're joking.

In any event, before taking apart your smoke detector, keep in mind that:
1.  An intact smoke detector can, with some exceptions, be disposed of in household trash.  (See HPPOS-150, "Disposal Requirements for Specific and Exempt Licensed Smoke Detectors.")

2.  A smoke detector source that has been removed from a smoke detector is potential TRU waste.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com